Here at the top five things you need to do.
1. Get a home Inspection, and fix everything on the report, and get hard written bids from contractors to fix the things you can’t afford to fix right now.
2. Hire a Home Stager or Consultant to tell you updates you should make: at a minimum fresh paint and clean or new carpets, refinishing hardwoods, updating kitchens & baths. Keep in mind other homes in the area, you want to be updated to the similar level as your neighbors, maybe a little bit more. But you still need to be priced about average
3. Clean the house, every square inch, top to bottom, visible, storage, closets, cabinets, baths, windows, everything.
4. Don’t forget the outside, clean gutters, trim trees and bushes, fix up decks and patios, stage patio furniture.
5. Then you are ready to go look at the competition in the neighborhood one more time before marketing FSBO (for sale by owner) or hiring a Realtor.
We can write a novel on this but there are already plenty of resources out there, follow the links below:
- Realtor.com: Guide to the Ready House
- How do I get my house ready to sell?
- TLC: 10 Things to Do Before You List Your House
- Real Estate ABC: Getting a Home Ready to Sell
Don’t want to spend the time getting ready?
Want to sell as is, now – rather than later?